I am a healthy snack fanatic. With the exception of Cheetos, I would choose something fresh over chips any day. I think they taste better and I feel better eating them. This series is all about making that healthier choice. I’ve combined some benefits of some of my favorite power foods with some snacky ideas and recipes in this series to help you fight the temptation of running to the vending machine. This week’s choice – almonds! I will never forget my first time eating a raw almond from the organic stand at the Farmer’s Market – ripping off the green shell to find this beautiful nut inside packed with super powers!
Why eat Almonds?
- They help maintain blood sugar levels – which means more consistent energy in the day.
- They are considered a good source of fiber and are packed with protein and healthy fats.
- They’re considered a power food for the brain. Who doesn’t want a super-charged brain?! Almonds contain riboflavin and L-carnitine which are nutrients that help with neurological activity and help prevent cognitive decline.
- They can help reduce hunger which aids in weight loss (or helps prevent weight gain).
- They have healthy antioxidants and healthy fats that support overall heart health helping to prevent heart disease and heart attacks.
- They are a wonderful resource of Vitamin E and antioxidants (again with those awesome antioxidants!) which promotes healthy skin.
- They are high in magnesium. Check this read out for 11 Miraculous Ways Magnesium Heals Your Mind & Body.
Here’s some yummy snack ideas to get you started:
Mix some almonds into a non-fat Greek Yogurt.
Add almonds & bananas to a bowl of (low sugar) cereal.
Have a handful of almonds with some berries.
Spread almond butter on whole wheat toast.
And my favorite – a bunch of raw almonds from market!