So I’m sitting at the kitchen table snacking on some pretzel sticks and a new delicious dip I picked up yesterday while out running errands with my Ma, an Onion Horseradish Dip. It wasn’t spicy to taste but after a few bites I noticed my sinuses started to get a burning sensation. I thought geez, this would be a perfect thing to have around if I’ve caught myself a cold and was a bit stuffy, should clear me right up! I started thinking how else can and does horseradish benefit our health, what other remedies could this food serve? It’s funny how our thought processes can come about isn’t it?
My love for root vegetables continues to grow and I’m excited to be adding this one to my list as well.
My curiosity led me to discover that horseradish has been used for many years in old traditional folk medicine to treat several ailments. Among being used to treat respiratory illnesses and sinus congestion, it was once also used as a topical application to treat inflammation and help ease pain. What we typically think as just a tangy or spicy condiment can actually be a wonderful addition to our diets to add some healthy boosts to our systems.
- It boosts immunity. There are two main reasons this helps improve our immunity systems – Horseradish is a cruciferous vegetable which are known for containing glucosinolates. These help prevent cancer and help fight off illness and disease. Horseradish root also contains allyl isothiocyanate (mustard oil) which has shown to have anti-microbial and anti-bacterial capabilities also helping to fight off infection.
- It is high in antioxidants.
- Horseradish contains enzymes that stimulate digestion and it helps regulate bowel movements. This is beneficial in an overall healthy digestive system.
- It is high in fiber and protein which helps you stay fuller and it has been shown to boost metabolism.
- Horseradish contains potassium which aids in lowering blood pressure.
- It is a natural diuretic.
- The scent of horseradish has shown to increase awareness and focus, making it wonderful for improving concentration.