The calendar says it’s Spring but I awoke to 4 inches of snow on the ground this morning…I have Spring Fever soooo bad! Snow or no snow, I’ve been getting busy with my Spring cleaning to get myself ready for an awesome Spring and Summer ahead. We all know the usual Spring Cleaning tasks – wash the bed sheets, draperies, shampoo the carpets, clean the windows…all that good, deep house-cleaning stuff you do as you get ready to open the windows – ah that is definitely in my top three of the favorite times of the year, the first time you open the windows for Spring. But (always a but right?) what about all the other stuff, you know some of the finer details?
- Clean out Your Closet – Okay this one is kind of the usual and most of us do it but I still put it on the list cause it’s a big one for me.So here’s the details of why this one is a top Spring Cleaning task for me (and I do this at the beginning of every season Summer, Fall, Winter too). First and foremost, it’s time to swap out and rearrange some clothes as I transition from Winter to Spring. Second, as I start getting back into my fitness mindset (out of what I like to call my “bear weight” because well I’m just going to say it, the extra keeps me warmer during the winter – being real here – and naturally I fluctuate a bit more during the Winter in my weight because I’m not as active being inside more), pulling out an visualizing my Spring and Summer outfits helps get me motivated. Want some tips on closet clean out? I wrote a kick butt post, Power Tips for an Awesome Closet Clean Out, that shares what I’m like cleaning out my closet (I go all in for the haul!)
- Clean out your Inbox – who wants to be sitting at their computer on a beautiful sunny day going through emails, not me! So I’ll take a little extra time now cleaning out the collection of promotional emails that have stacked up from the holiday season (don’t judge me, it’s been a crazy busy beginning of the year). Check out my Bringing Peace to Your Inbox post for tips on keeping it under wraps after you get it all cleaned up. (Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know I’m totally plugging myself this blog post but man I got resources I want to share with you!)
- Clean out your health and beauty products – I don’t know about you but I’ve been adding some more color to my stash and getting ready to get my ‘fresh, Spring face’ on for everyone! Did you know that we should be rotating out our beauty products several times throughout the year? This helps keep bacteria from forming and keeping your face clear (you know how you wet your brush, dip it in your eye shadow, apply, and repeat? Unfortunately that could be adding some potential for bacteria to grow to – so swap out your products and clean your brushes girls!) I also take stock of moisturizers, vitamins and all the other good stuff I’ll be using up to make sure I’m stocked up and not hanging on to anything I don’t use that adds clutter…oooh and get some yummy new floral or citrus scents to bring in Spring with!
- Clean out your fridge and freezer – and not just for the clean factor but also for the ‘let me stock up on healthy vegetables and fruits’ so I can be successful working this “bear weight” off kind of mindset. Prep adds to success! Give this baby a good wipe down as you go through it too. Move over frozen vegetables and fruits, cause the fresh ones are coming in! Think grilling too – oh yay, my favorite!
- Clean up your finances – Saving up for a Summer Vacation? Gotta get those finances organized so you can stay on track…plus hopefully by now we’ve been able to bounce back a little from the holiday spending. I find myself on the go more during the Spring and Summer so it’s important for me to have a good budget and record of spending in place for myself that I can easily and quickly update. Here’s the budget planner I use (yes, another self plug but it’s a good one, I promise!) – How to Build a Budget for those that Hate Budgets – umm, like me, but this made it so much easier for me so I hate it a little less now.
- Clean out your books and magazines – this can be paperbacks/hardbacks or kindle format, whatever you got. Some laying on the beach Summer reading is ahead so get through your books and get ready. Have books you’ve never read? Move them to the front so they’re convenient to grab when packing…I’d tell you to get rid of the books you’ve already read but that’s not my strength. I totally see my books as trophies after I read them and I envision myself someday having a home with either a library room stacked floor to ceiling with shelves of books or a very long hallway with the same so I can’t back you up on that one but if it’s for you and it fits your fancy, then by all means, yes de-clutter away!!!
So back to my Spring Fever – on days like this when there’s snow on the ground (which I’m happy to report has been melting throughout the day), are the days I tuck inside with a good Yoga practice…but I’m biting at the chance to get outside for a great hike! So for now, I’ll focus on wrapping up my Spring Cleaning so when those warm days hit I’ll be ready to get out!
What kinds of unusual Spring Cleaning do you do?