Essential oils have been used medicinally throughout history. The earliest known mention being around 1188 A.D.
Did you know they used to use Myrrh to stop bleeding of injured soldiers on the battlefields? Evidence of the use of Myrrh and Frankincense dates back over 5000 years!
Today essential oils are used as a non-invasive alternative to treating many symptoms and ailments.
They have many antioxidant, antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties making them increasingly popular.
Healing oils act as natural medicine without the side effects so often experienced with processed and synthetic medicines.
They are also easy to use, versatile in their application, and are mainstream enough to be found and purchased easily.
I’ve been using essential oils for several years now and I’m still discovering new ways the make my life better. I went full on in last year with Young Living Essential Oils and I haven’t looked back since!
While there are hundreds of uses for essential oils, here are some examples most commonly used:
Lavender for Spa and Relaxation
- Improve sleep: Lavender oil can alleviate insomnia. Sprinkle a few drops on your pillow to help you fall asleep or add some drops to a diffuser about half an hour before bed.
- Homemade lip balm: Combine coconut oil, beeswax and lavender oil for an amazing healing balm for chapped lips.
- Relieve tension: Help to relieve anxiety by using a single drop of lavender oil on your hands, rub together, and cup your hands to your nose and let the smell flood your senses.
- Immediate relaxation: Apply 2-4 drops of chamomile, lavender, and peppermint essential oil to your temples for a cooling effect and immediate relaxation.
- Detox bath: Mix lavender oil, Epsom salts and sea salt to a warm bath to cleanse and rejuvenate the body.
Skin and Beauty
- Reduce cellulite: Mix five drops of grapefruit essential oil with two teaspoons of coconut oil and massage into dimpled areas.
- Acne face wash: To get rid of acne, make a face wash by mixing tea tree oil (melaleuca) with raw honey and rub on your face. Then rinse with water.
- Itchy scalp: Add lavender, cedarwood or basil essential oil to shampoo to reduce itching.
- Cure dandruff: Mix five drops of rosemary and lavender essential oils with three tablespoons of unscented oil. Massage into your scalp and leave on for 10 minutes. Shampoo the mixture out.
- Heal dry cracked feet: Add three drops of lavender oil to two tablespoons of coconut oil. Apply to the feet at night and put on some socks.
Remedies and Natural Medicine
- Migraine headache relief: Combine a few drops of lavender oil and peppermint oil and apply to temples to help with headaches and migraines.
- Reduce cough or sinusitis: Add a few drops of Eucalyptus oil into steaming hot water or a diffuser. Inhale to help clear nasal passage.
- Repair broken bones: To support healing of broken bones, apply helichrysum, fir, and cypress essential oils.
- Heal burns: Mix lavender oil with aloe vera to treat burns.
- Reduce fever: Add 1-3 drops of eucalyptus, peppermint, and lavender to a cool cloth and sponge the body.
It’s easy to get started with essential oils. You can start with topical applications, aromatherapy, or dive right in with some all-natural diy products. Learn more and get started here.
All opinions are my own. This post contains affiliate links, which means I receive payments for leads/sales. For more information please reference my disclosure page.