We all have that occasional sweet tooth…I know…but there are many healthy options out there. One of my favorite sweet treats is honey. I remember eating spoonfuls of honey with my Grandpa on a Sunday afternoon. It always brings so much warmth to my heart.
- Studies have shown that replacing sugar with honey has helped with weight management and with lowering blood sugars.
- It has also been shown that raw honey can trigger certain hormones that will help suppress the appetite.
- Honey is a natural energy source. It has been nicknamed, “the perfect running fuel”, containing carbohydrates that can be easily processed into energy.
- It’s packed with anti-oxidants that helps boost memory.
- Honey contains no fat or cholesterol.
- It holds anti-inflammatory properties.
- It can help with allergies due to the small amount of bee pollen it contains and can also help reduce sinus inflammation.
- Honey coats the throat which can act as a natural cough suppressant.
- Some studies shows it can aid in a good night’s rest.
- It can reduce acid reflux and heartburn.
- Honey boosts your immune system.
- It helps cleanse and strengthen your digestive system.
- It is a natural aphrodisiac.
- It has antimicrobial properties which can help fight gum disease.
- And honey has carcinogen-preventing properties that aid in cancer prevention.
Honey is a natural sweetener…but be weary of processed honey, raw honey is the best way to go. Remember that honey still contains fructose so be sure to use it in balance and moderation.