So as I journey towards Minimalism, I find myself in a constant battle over my wardrobe. I love clothes and style, after all I had a focus in Fashion Design & Merchandising for part of my schooling. Moving to a ‘Capsule Wardrobe’ (even though I do think they are a wonderful idea!) is just not something that is a realistic goal for me right now but that doesn’t mean I can’t slender my wardrobe down.
Each season, I make time for a good closet clean-out and overhaul.
Minimalism isn’t about only owning the less stuff you possibly can, it’s about only holding onto things that bring joy and value to your life so some thoughts to keep in mind when you’re going through your clothes (really think hard into these questions too!)
Does it fit well?
Do I feel confident and fabulous in it? Does it add value to my day?
Have I worn it or do I see myself wearing it in the near future or next upcoming season(s)?
The Tedious Process of the Closet Clean-Out (but oh so necessary!!!)
- Take everything out of your closet.
- Create three piles – donate, try on, sell.
- What you are keeping without a doubt hang back up.
- Start going through everything. Go through each piece of clothing and separate into each pile, tossing anything that is mega worn, has holes or tears and doesn’t have any life left in it.
- Try on the clothes that are in that pile. Hang up what you have decided to keep. Quick Tip: Put your out-of season clothes in the back of your closet and then switch out when the season changes. The clothes you’ve decided not to keep, split up in the other piles accordingly (donate/sell).
- Pack up clothes for donation. After they’re all packed up, put them by the door or in the car so that you take them next time you go out. The key is to getting them out of the house as soon as possible so they don’t end up sneaking back into your closet!
- Take out the trash bag!
- Prepare/Pack up clothes to sell. There are tons of places to sell your clothes nowadays. My favorite places to sell are Swap.com and ThredUp and Poshmark (use referral code @gingergoose for $5!)
Now that you got the steps for an awesome closet clean out, clear a day and go to town! You’ll be amazed at what you find and how accomplished you’ll feel after!
*This post contains affiliate links. All opinions are my own. An affiliate link means I may receive payment if you make a purchase through my link, without any extra cost to you. For more information about my disclosures and policies please visit my Legal & Privacy Policies. Thank you for your support so I can keep Do Five Things A Day rocking <3